Autumn has arrived in crisp, colourful style – and Allsopp & Allsopp Coventry branch manager Matthew Costello has some seasonal advice for sellers who may be tempted to go into hibernation when it comes to house hunting.
“Although most estate agents view spring as traditionally one of the best times to sell a property, there is certainly no reason to overlook what we anticipate will be active autumn.
A few simple but effective tips can help you as a seller make the most of your home, with a little bit of effort and minimum cost.
This, in turn, will assist buyers in their search to get settled into a brand new place of their own before the arrival of the festive season.
Now is a great time to get out there and see what is available before everyone gets caught up in the countdown to Christmas.
There are so many reasons why autumn has traditionally been a popular time to move house – the children are settled back at school and Christmas seems just far enough away to be able to concentrate on something else.
But don’t leave it too late! Our message to sellers and buyers would be ‘don’t hold back’ – if moving is on your mind, then take steps to make it happen sooner rather than later.”
Here are a few pointers to consider if an autumn move is on your wish list:
- Decluttering is always a great place to start. While you may love your family photos and on-display collectables, clearing some space and de-personalising your home a little may allow potential buyers to imagine themselves living there.
- There are lots of spiders around at this time of year, and the last thing a viewer wants is to come face to face with one in the doorway or porch. Add ‘clearing cobwebs’ to your to-do list – along with cleaning windows, sweeping away fallen leaves and replacing outside light bulbs, all of which will create a welcoming feel for viewers.
- Ensure your home is ‘viewing ready’ at any time of the day, particularly if you are at work and your agent is conducting the viewing.
- If possible, try to arrange daylight viewings to show your home off to its true potential. And if you are planning a weekend break, make sure your agent has a key to your property.
- If it is a particularly cold day when viewers arrive, put on the heating to warm up the house a little. Offering your visitors a hot drink is also a nice touch – don’t forget to find a convenient place to put their coats or brollies!
- If you are considering a seasonal makeover – why not think about using warm colours that reflect the season. And if you have a hearth, make it the heart of the home and create a focal point for viewers.
- Don’t overlook the garden – whatever the size of your outdoor space. Cover up the barbeque and clear away any toys left over from summer. A few colourful-planted containers will cheer up a patio, wall or sparse area.
For more details on buying or selling a property with Allsopp & Allsopp – either in Coventry or Leamington Spa – visit our website
Subscribe to receive news and updates
Be the first to get the most market news, videos and the inside scoop on property in UK